Saturday, May 25, 2013

How to NOT get bitten/eaten alive by mosquitoes...

I live in central Alabama and we have mosquitoes the size of Manhattan!!! Knowing I was going to be working in the yard a lot I researched all of the 'green', 'organic', inexpensive ways to not get bitten. And here is what I tried and how it worked:
1.) Garlic: I had two large bunches of garlic (are the individual pieces of garlic called cloves or the whole bunch?) So I cut them up all around my deck yesterday. Today I went on top of it with a full thing of garlic powder. I still had one land on me around noon. I knew if they are landing on me already, I will be eaten alive by dusk!!! So onto the next thing...




2.) Dryer sheets: I used my Bounce dryer sheets. I rubbed them on all exposed skin as well as tucked one in each pocket for a total of four sheets. About an hour later I had 4 bites... Onto the next thing I have at home...
3.) 'Dark' Vinegar: I am assuming the post I read this on was speaking of apple cider vinegar??? So I sprayed it around the whole area, being careful not to spray it on plants that I wanted to keep but spraying heavy on the weeds (I will let you know how this works in the next couple of days.) Still was bitten...
4.) Vanilla: I dabbed it on my ankles, wrist, and clothing. Keep in mind I still have the garlic everywhere, bounce sheets in each pocket, and vinegar sprayed. The vanilla didn't help...
5.) Oils: I didn't have the ones mentioned on the sites I read, I did have lavender (might have been on one???) Well other than adding a new scent to my person it didn't help any at all.
That is all I had available to use out of the ideas I read. I think the garlic along with the dryer sheets helped some, other wise I would have been eaten to the point of miserable by the time it was dark, yet it did not rid me of them totally. Do any of you have any sure fire ways to get rid of the pesky little buggers???





No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *