Saturday, May 25, 2013

My new (to me) home ended up being the one I saw in the Summer 2012 issue of do it Yourself magazine, and I didn't know it at the time :)

Prior to moving into this rental house (I know, I wish I owned again... Yet, these are the times. Just look for the silver lining :) I was living in a place that I wanted out of before I ever moved in. While looking at a Do It Yourself magazine I saw my perfect deck. It was me and I knew I would have it one day...




As soon as I started receiving enough money to move, I was calling every ad I could find that fit into where and how much I could afford. The first house I looked at, I knew it was THE ONE!!! After all it had the beginnings of my deck, and the most expensive parts!!!

along with a LOT of other inherited items that will make this place great once they are fixed up!! The swing you see in the back is one of my inherited items. I have put one coat of spray paint and will make a post on this all in itself.
Well, I inherited A LOT of paint along with the other things and had a 5 gal bucket of stain
.
With the deck being dark

I knew it wouldn't have much time left if I didn't protect it so that is the stain it will be, or so I thought... By the way, have you ever read the Danger warning on a can of this stuff???

Yes, it does say "Rags, steel wool or waste soaked with this product may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded." then goes on to say "Immediately after use, place rags, steel wool or waste in a sealed, water-filled metal container." Do you ever do that??? I know I never knew to so therefor never have... hmmmmm.
Anyway back to the deck... This is what I saw when I opened the can

so nope, this will not be what I use on the deck... I had a gallon of floor paint that was also left to me

but this is a color I really do not care for and doesn't fit in with my colorful deck off of the magazine (also is currently on my front porch and back stoop, that I am going to change.) Then I remembered having almost half a gallon of a stain in my craft room that I purchased a couple of years ago at Home Depot marked down to $5.00

so I am thinking even though it isn't the perfect color it will do. I remember a pin on Pinterest about lining your paint tray to save money and time so I line my tray

and all that did was waste my stain. It still got on the tray and just got in the way (unless I did it wrong, if I did please let me know!!) Soon I saw how much the deck was soaking up the stain and I knew I didn't have enough to do the whole deck.

I had not decided at this time if I was going to make an outdoor rug out of a drop cloth or paint one on, well this decided it for me, I am painting it on!!! lol I left the inside of the deck not stained and then decided I wanted my 'rug' diagonal... But not to worry, once the stain dried it didn't look good since I did not have access to and did not use a power washer first. And I hate, hate, hate, did I mention.... I hate to sand. So I will be painting that area as well. I went through my many inherited paints

And this isn't all of them, I have disposed of quite a few and have some in the house. I found this beautiful bright blue

and decided to go with it even though it is an indoor paint. I will either coat it with a sealant or leave it to wear a little to go with the shabby chic look. I LOVE how the blue looks on the deck

Well it got way to dark, even with putting lights out to do anymore. So I will have to work on it more tomorrow... For now I am wondering exactly what I want to put on my rug... I know I want the bright beautiful colors this spring but I am not sure of the design. Have an idea??? Please give me a link in the comment area below!! Also if you have any other thoughts that would go along with this or past stories to tell we want to hear!!!



">

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *